Wednesday, October 16, 2013

[ 42 / 52 ]

Week Forty-Two: Out of the Blue
Week Forty-Two

This picture was never supposed to survive. I was laying on the grass at Off the Grid in the Presidio when a pack of eight military helicopters zoomed overhead. I snapped a few shots simply as a way to get a closer look at them, not even thinking about it as an actual picture. The plan was just to delete them off my camera as soon as I was done.

And yet, something about this image in particular caught my eye as I was scrolling through my pictures from the day. I kept going back to it and wanted to look at it over and over again.

I went on a date with a graphic designer a while back who told me that my photography "wasn't brave enough". Despite a lengthy discussion of this topic, I still don't know what the hell she actually meant (to be fair, I'm pretty sure she didn't either...) But somehow this picture feels a little brave to me. On the surface, it's mostly just a blue sky. There's really not much going on. It doesn't tell a story, there's no secret meaning or metaphor here. But something about it feels beautiful to me and I can't really put a finger on what it is.

I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone or if it's just crazy talk at this point, but that's ok. Every time I look at it, I like it a little more. And that suites me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment